Carrie Says: These were modified slightly from the original recipe.
Jillian Michael Brownies
Author: Carrie Burns
- Serves: 16
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 82.8
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.2 g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 1.3 g
Recipe type: Dessert
- ⅔ c. mild honey
- ⅓ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ c. white whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp aluminum free baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c. unsweetened apple sauce
- ¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8" square pan with olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the honey in a large glass measuring cup. Microwave on high power until the honey is runny & just bubbling, 45 to 60 seconds. Add cocoa & stir with a fork until well combined. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, egg, & vanilla. Whisk together until well blended. Add honey, cocoa mixture & whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture & stir until no traces of flour remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges of the pan & a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Place the pan on a cooling rack & let cool completely before slicing into 16 squares.
- Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Photo Courtesy of yum9me on Flickr