Submitted by *Vilification*
|3 oz. pancetta (Italian unsmoked cured bacon), chopped||1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 small onion, fine chopped||4 garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 tbsp fine chopped fresh sage||8 oz. peeled roasted whole chestnuts, coarsely crumbled|
|8 oz. dried flat egg noodles such as tagliatelle or fettuccine||2 oz. finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano|
|2 tbsp unsalted butter||1 tbsp fine chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley|
- Cook pancetta in oil in a 12″ heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add onion & cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic & 1 tbsp sage & cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in chestnuts & remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in a 6- to 8-qt. pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1½ c. cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander & add to pancetta mixture in skillet.
- Add 1 c. reserved cooking water along with cheese & butter & cook, tossing constantly, over high heat until pasta is well coated (add more reserved water if necessary), about 1 minute.
- Add salt & black pepper to taste & serve sprinkled with parsley & remaining tbsp sage.