Sharon Says: My first piece is always warm because looks & smells so good I “need” to taste right away! I also recommend Whole Foods 365 brand vegan sugar & Earth Balance brand buttery vegan spread.
Sharon Nazarian runs BigCityVegan.com, a website dedicated to living a cruelty-free lifestyle including vegan recipes, vegan news & vegan merchandise, like cool vegan t-shirts.
- 2½ c. whole wheat flour
- 1½ c. vegan sugar
- 1½ c. soy milk
- 1 c. whole canned cranberry sauce
- ¼ c. powdered vegan sugar
- 6 tbsp buttery vegan spread
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- Melt the buttery vegan spread & combine with soy milk.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, spices & salt.
- Alternate adding the cranberry sauce & the soy milk with melted vegan butter mixture to the dry ingredients until everything is fully blended.
- Pour into a well-greased 9" square pan (use butter spread, light vegetable oil or a light oil spray).
- Bake on middle rack in preheated 350°F oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Garnish with powdered vegan sugar (put into strainer, shake it over the entire cake).
- Serve warm or cold.
Photo Courtesy of stu_spivack on Flickr.