Submitted by Joe
|1 acorn squash||½ c. quinoa|
|1 c. water||1 bunch kale|
|3 tbsp butter||salt, pepper, & red chili pepper to taste|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut the acorn squash in half, remove the seeds & clean out the center. Add salt & pepper to the flesh of the squash & place 1 tbsp of butter into the cavity of each squash half.
2. Once the oven is ready, place the squash flesh side up on a baking sheet or casserole dish & bake for 45 minutes.
3. Put the quinoa into a bowl or container & fill it with water until the quinoa is covered. Set aside.
4. Remove the stalks from the kale & discard them. Rough chop the kale leaves & place into a skillet over medium heat along with 1 tbsp of butter. Add salt, pepper, & crushed red pepper to taste & saute until the kale is dark green & wilted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
5. Drain the water from the quinoa. Pour 1 c. of water in a pot, salt the water liberally & bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the quinoa & kale, stirring together. Place a cover on the pot & reduce the heat to low.
6. Remove the squash from the oven. Spoon the quinoa & kale mixture into the cavity of each squash half & serve.
Chef’s Note: Spinach can be substituted for kale if desired.