Once you’ve added the coconut milk, be sure not to boil it too long or else the milk may curdle. You can substitute yogurt or plain milk for the coconut milk for health reasons. Thank you to Chacko’s Kitchen for submitting this recipe.
Kerala Style Beef Stew
Author: Chacko's Kitchen
Recipe type: Soups
- 2 lbs beef
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 4 tomatoes
- 1-1/2 c. shallots
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 c. coconut milk
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2-1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2-4 green chilies
- 4 cloves
- 1-1/2" cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom
- 1 star anise
- salt to taste
- Clean & cut the beef into 1″ cubes. Drain.
- Peel & finely slice the shallots.
- Finely slice the tomatoes & store separately.
- Peel, wash, & cut the potato & carrot into 1″ cubes.
- Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a non-stick pan. Add the Garam Masala ingredients (cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, & star anise) & saute for 1 minute.
- Add shallots (reserving about 1 tbsp) & saute until translucent, taking about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained, cubed beef, potato, & carrot along with the turmeric, salt, & pepper. Saute until all sides are seared & lightly caramelized and browned.
- Add the tomatoes, green chilies, & ½ the coconut milk. Transfer to a pressure cooker & cook on high heat until 1 whistle, reducing to a medium flame. Continue to cook for 20 minutes & then 10 more minutes on low flame.
- In a separate non-stick pan, heat the remaining oil & saute the reserved shallots & curry leaves. Add the remainder of the coconut milk & bring to a boil on medium heat. Remove from heat.