Submitted by serenityn0w
|1-2 tsp crushed dried red pepper||¾ tsp ground turmeric|
|¾ tsp ground ginger||¾ tsp ground cinnamon|
|½ c. tsp salt||2 lbs. well trimmed, boneless leg of lamb, cut into|
|2 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil||1″-1½” pieces|
|2 large onions, chopped||3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 14 oz. can beef broth||1 tbsp cornstarch|
|2 tbsp cold water||1 c. pitted dates|
|1 c. dried apricots||Hot cooked couscous or rice|
|¼ c. toasted slivered almonds||Orange peel curl (optional)|
- In a shallow mixing bowl combine crushed red pepper, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, & salt. Coat meat with seasoning mixture.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown meat, one-third at a time, in the hot oil. Transfer meat to a 3½ or 4 qt. electric slow cooker. Add onions & garlic; stir to combine. Pour beef broth over all.
- Cover & cook on low-heat setting for 7-9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3½-4½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim fat from the surface of the juices in the slow cooker. Stir cornstarch into the cold water; stir into crockery cooker.
- Add dates & apricots; stir to combine. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover & cook for 30 minutes more or until mixture is slightly thickened & bubbly.
- To serve, spoon stew atop hot couscous or rice. Top with almonds. If desired, garnish with orange peel curls.