Joe's Butternut Squash Risotto
Author: Joe Meyers
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 c. butternut squash, cubed
- 1 c. Arborio rice
- 3 c. hot vegetable stock
- ⅓ c. dry white wine
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ c. Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Place squash cubes & 1 tbsp of butter into a skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally until cooked through (roughly 10 minutes) then remove from heat & set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion & garlic; cook & stir for 2 minutes until they begin to soften, then stir in the rice. Continue cooking & stirring until the rice is glossy from the butter, & the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the white wine; cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated. Stir in ⅓ of the hot vegetable stock; reduce heat to medium. Cook & stir until the stock has been absorbed by the rice, 5 to 7 minutes. Add half of the remaining stock, & continue stirring until it has been absorbed.
- Finally, pour in the remaining stock & butternut squash, & continue stirring until the risotto is creamy. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, & season to taste with salt & pepper. Finally top each individual serving with Pecorino Romano cheese.
Photo Courtesy of Warren Layton on Flickr