Monica Says: We had this at a friend’s house for Thanksgiving and loved it so much we made it for Christmas!
Author: Monica Fawver
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 c. flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c. shortening
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ c. milk
- 2 c. fresh or frozen berries
- ½ c. flour
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ c. butter or margarine
- Grease bottom & ½" up sides of a 9"x9"x2" baking pan.
- Combine the 2 c. flour, baking powder, & salt. In another mixing bowl, beat shortening for 30 seconds. Add the ¾ c. sugar.
- Beat on medium to high speed until light & fluffy. Add egg; beat well.
- Add dry mixture & milk alternately to beaten egg mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with fruit.
- Combine the ½ c. flour, ½ c. sugar, & cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 50-60 minutes or until golden.
Photo Courtesy of Sergey Kukota on Flickr