Author: Michelle Fawver
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 lbs. beef or lamb stew meat
- 4 tbsp oil or Crisco
- ½ c. flour
- 2 c. chicken or beef bouillon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots. cut in 2" pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a heavy saucepan with cover, melt Crisco (or heat oil). Dredge beef or lamb meat & brown in hot oil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat.
- Add onions & garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add bouillon, bay leaf, thyme, salt, & pepper. cover & simmer for 1½ hours. Add potatoes & carrots.
- Cover & simmer for 30 more minutes or until meat & vegetables are tender. Stir in vinegar. Add more salt & pepper as needed.
Photo Courtesy of Jules Morgan on Flickr