Submitted by JamiSings
|3 c. flour||½ c. almonds, finely ground|
|1½ tsp baking powder||¼ tsp salt|
|½ c. sugar||Zest of one lemon|
|½ lb. unsalted butter or margarine||1 egg|
|2 tbsp cold water||1 tbsp lemon juice|
|1 egg white, beaten|
Poppy Seed Filling Ingredients
|4 oz. poppy seeds||½ c. milk|
|1 tbs unsalted butter or margarine||¼ c. seedless raisins, plumped|
|¼ c. toasted walnuts, pecans, or almonds||1 tbsp honey|
|½ tsp vanilla extract|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl & blend thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, almonds, baking powder, salt, sugar, & lemon zest. Blend or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles very fine crumbs.
- In a small bowl beat the egg, water, & lemon juice until well blended. Add to the flour mixture & beat until completely blended & the mixture begins to form a dough. Do not overmix.
- Transfer to a floured board & knead the dough into a ball. Divide the ball into 6 or 7 equal portions for easier handling. Flatten each portion with the palms of your hands & roll it out to ¼” thick. With a scalloped cookie cutter, cut into 3½” rounds.
- Place 1 heaping tsp of filling in the center of each round. Fold the edges of the dough toward the center to form a triangle, leaving a bit of the filling visible in the center. Pinch the edges to seal them.
- Place the hamantaschen on a lightly greased foil-like baking sheet & brush with the egg white. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to racks to cool.