Submitted by Ruth
|¼ c. good instant coffee||5½ oz. unsalted butter|
|¾ c. soft dark brown sugar||2 eggs, lightly beaten|
|1/3 c. ground almonds||1½ c. self-rising flour|
|¼ unsweetened cocoa powder||¾ c. water|
Kahlua Cream Ingredients
|2 tsp espresso coffee powder||2 tbsp super fine (castor) sugar|
|¼ c. Kahlua (recipe calls for ½, I use ¾)||10½ fl oz. cream, lightly whipped|
- Combine coffee & water in a small heatproof bowl (or mug). Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat over to 350°F. Lightly grease a deep 8″ round cake pan.
- Beat butter & sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light & creamy. add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each.
- Add the ground almonds. Using a metal spoon, fold in the sifted flour & cocoa alternately with the coffee mix. Stir until just combined & the mixture is smooth.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the cake pan & smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Leave in pan for 15 minutes to cool before turning onto a wire rack.
- Cream the butter, mix the powdered sugar & crushed mints together, add to butter. Add milk & Rumpleminz. Beat until fluffy. If frosting is too thick you can add more milk or Rumple.
- When cake is done, put filling between the two layers.
Kahlua Cream Directions
- Combine everything in a small saucepan & stir over low heat until coffee dissolves.
- Serve cake warm covered with Kahlua cream.