RandallPMcMurphy Says: I make the chili powder from scratch using Alton Brown’s Recipe. Maggi seasoning is like Mexican soy sauce. It’s awesome.
'Wish I was in Oaxaca' Chicken
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 chicken breasts, skin on
- 2 tbsp chili powder, divided
- 1 bottle beer (Tecate)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced with seeds
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 7 oz. Chipotle sauce (1 can)
- 29 oz. Hunts Fire Roasted tomatoes (2 cans)
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 1 pinch Mexican oregano
- 3 tbsp grape seed oil (or vegetable oil)
- corn tortillas
- Maggi seasoning
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Season the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, & a sprinkle of chili powder. In a dutch oven or large, oven safe pot, heat oil on Medium High & brown chicken. Approximately 3 minutes each side. Remove chicken & set aside.
- With pot still on medium high, throw onion, garlic & jalapeno in & cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with 6oz of beer, scraping up all the brown bits from the pan, & drink the rest.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients & the rest of the Chili Powder, with the onions, peppers & garlic & place the chicken in. Pour in chicken stock to just cover the chicken, if necessary, & bring to a simmer. Tear up 2-3 corn tortillas & toss into pot.
- Cover, & place pot in oven for 2.5 hours or until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove chicken from the pot & set aside. Use an immersion blender, or carefully pour braising liquid into a blender & blend until smooth. Taste. Season with Maggi seasoning & pepper to taste.
- Plate chicken in a shallow bowl, ladle over a spoonful of sauce, & garnish with cilantro to taste. Serve with corn tortillas.