Submitted by Ruth
|Reduced-Fat Dairy Spread, melted to grease||½ c. cocoa powder|
|1/3 c. hot water||2 tsp instant coffee powder|
|2 tsp boiling water||100g pkg almond meal|
|½ c. caster sugar||3 eggs, separated|
|Strawberries, washed & sliced|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Brush a round 22cm (9″) base measurement cake pan with melted dairy spread to lightly grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the cocoa powder & hot water in a medium bowl. Combine the instant coffee powder & boiling water in a cup. Add the coffee to the cocoa mixture & stir until combined.
- Add almond meal, sugar, & egg yolks to cocoa mixture, & stir until well combined.
- Use an electric beater to whisk egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold a spoonful of egg whites into cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold in remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place cake pan in a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach two-thirds of the way up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Remove cake pan from water bath & set aside for 20 minutes to cool Turn cake onto a wire rack & remove paper. Set aside for another 20 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
- Cut cake into wedges & carefully transfer to serving plates. Serve with strawberries