Submitted by randilicious
|3 tbsp canola oil||2 c. mushrooms, sliced thin|
|1 onion, finely diced (about 1½ c.)||4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 c. red wine||4 tbsp whole wheat flour|
|10 oz. chicken broth (1 can)||½ c. water|
|salt & pepper to taste|
- Coat bottom of saucepan with canola oil. Mix in mushrooms & saute.
- Add onions, garlic, & red wine. Mix well until wine boils off. The onions should cook off until they are tiny. All that should be left are the mushrooms, tiny bits of onion & garlic, & just a bit of the oil.
- Mix in the flour. Stir well & often until it becomes a paste-like mixture.
- Add chicken broth. Stir often to keep mushrooms from burning onto the surface. As the broth boils, the gravy should thicken.
- Add water to the desired consistency.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
Chef’s Note: I use baby bella mushrooms. I like mine thick, so I only use ½ cup of water in step 5.